Saturday, August 6, 2011

13.1 Miles

I DID IT!!!! (again)
13.1 Miles!! I DID IT AGAIN!!! This summer I set another goal to run the Bryce Canyon Half Marathon. I had to redeem myself from last year. I trained my butt off last year and didn't get the time I was shooting for. So I told myself that I absolutely had to run it again this year. I didn't train as much as I'd planned, but still found some time. It's hard to find time to run the long runs when you work full time and a mom full time too. But I did my best (with lots of help and support from my parents and husband). I also had some fun running partners along the way: Beth (even though she didn't run it with me this year), always was pushing me on our runs, and Katie (who I talked into signing up just a few weeks before the big race). Thanks for the help girls! I couldn't have done it without you. Katie did a fantastic job, by the way! She ended up running with an injury, shin splints. We were together until about mile 10 and she was in extreme pain and had to slow down. She ended up finishing the race with a great time, but found out a few days later she had a stress fracture on her left shin. I was so proud of her for finishing!! She is amazing.
We were so nervous right before our race! There were so many runners (about 1600). I couldn't believe how cold it was. It was 38 degrees when we started the race at 6:00 am. It felt good after we started running though. I ended up with a time of 1 hour 48 minutes, (an average of 8:16/mile). I beat my time from last year by 10 minutes. I was STOKED!! I couldn't believe I had done that well. I felt good the whole race, and was very excited at what I had accomplished. Running has become an addiction for me, because it feels so good. I don't know how to explain it. And when you reach your goals, it makes it all that more special. I hope I can continue to compete against myself in these races, because I love it!! :)



Crossing the finish line!
Katie coming across the finish line!! Her injury was killing her!!
We did it!
My AWESOME husband got up at 4:00 am (on his day off) to come and support me in this big race. Isn't he the best!!! He was very proud of me, and I was so excited to have someone to share my excitement with!
Denise and Mekeisia came to support us. They did awesome in the 5K that morning!!

No comments: